07.03.17

Today I attempted to translate/associate/explore the sounds and tastes of Gary Strangers graffiti type. I was interested in starting with graffiti as I thought there would not be many universal associations/memories attached to it and was interested in creating quite a raw response. However, this was a lot more difficult that I anticipated. Due to this, I think that using graffiti might be too difficult and also I worry that my responses/outcomes will be too difficult to understand if there are no universal associations to the type - I'm now going to rethink about the type i plan on using.

I chose to respond to the sound and taste after reading about Condiment Junkie who discovered that there is a correlation between sound and taste - e.g. what you hear can affect the taste of something.

Today I also tried mark-making based on general sounds/pitches. I found my result was very similar to the sound response I did during part 1 - so i'm worried that each outcome could look very similar and one may not able to visually distinguish the sounds from one another. I also found this exercise very difficult and I'm not sure whether it was because I was quite tired and unfocussed or if this is a genuinely difficult exercise to do. I am thinking it may be easier to first completely translate/explore/associate the form of the typeface before I start to look at and record the sound or the taste.