12.03.17

I'm not so sure where to go with my FMP after a somewhat unsuccessful attempt at using forms of mark making to visualise sound - my tutor and I both discussed that the outcomes didn't really do or say anything. We also discussed playing around with print (this is what I had proposed in my brief) and doing a series of controlled collages whilst using uncontrolled methods of print. Thus pushing my FMP into the direction of a poster or book based outcome - this is what I'm not so sure about. It doesn't excite me and I think there other more engaging approaches I could adopt, I just don't know if I have the time/skill/money. In an ambitious world, I'd like to create a sensory experience (referring to the VR I originally spoke about in my proposal) in which you would see the typeface and would be able to taste/hear/smell/touch it. 

Later today I begun playing around with print and creating 'controlled collages' in an 'uncontrolled environment'. Annoyingly, I was not able to get into the print workshops this week due to it being fully booked so I played around with paint and sponges onto collages i made using Lucida Calligraphy and its associated form and sound (ancient Chinese chimes > pagoda roof). Although I am quite pleased at how these have turned out, I think i'm just quite unsatisfied at the notion of having a poster or a book as a final outcome. Although if i put a lot of effort into it and was very experimental, it could be a really beautiful piece. But it think at this stage and because we're working effectively towards an exhibition I would rather conclude with something more exciting and memorable.